Dear Monday, my Mama don't like you and she likes everyone . . . Monday is tomorrow and according to everybody it is the absolute worst. But why? What is it about Mondays that everyone hates, what did Monday ever do to you? So you have to set an alarm, maybe go to work, yes you're tired, but think of the money you are earning, the office gossip you can catch up on. The excuse to have unlimited guilt-free amounts of caffeine. I think Mondays get a bad rap, so here are 10 reasons not to hate Mondays, because Monday has feelings too.
1. FRESH START. For many, Mondays are a new start, it is a blank chapter and we get to write the story. Your only limit is your imagination. Make plans and allot time to do things you enjoy and will feel proud of, write that book, call that friend, talk to that cute guy in I.t. Just do it.
2. IT'S NOT MONDAYS FAULT. Monday, often, has nothing to do with it. Maybe, you're allergic to Mondays, or the sound of your alarm makes you want to jump head first out of a ten-storey window. If you hate your job, or can't stand the traffic on the way to work, that's not Monday's problem, it's yours. Suck it up, deal with it, stick on some gangsta rap and get it done.
3. NO RULES TO SAY YOU CAN'T LIKE MONDAYS. Everyone hates Mondays. I feel like we're told this from the minute we shoot out of the womb. But, it's not true. A lot of people actually like Mondays, they like school, they like work and they don't hate Monday. That's their dirty little secret. They probably like mornings too. How unnatural.
4. PRODUCTIVITY. Mondays are usually that elusive day when you're going to start all the things you failed at last week. That new diet, that post you have been putting off writing, car washing, all those jobs we put off and think nah I'll do that on Monday. Monday gets the bad rap because it's the day you get your shit together. Spoiler alert: you need your shit together. So Mondays should be your best friend. I read a quote once that said you should treat every day like it's a Monday because any day is a good day to make a positive change to your life. Mondays rule.
5. GOOD VIBES ONLY. The start of a new week sets the tone for how the rest of the week. If you jump into it with a positive mind set. This is going to be a great, awesome, mind-blowingly good week. You are more likely to have a good week, if you wake up on Monday dreading it, despising it, the whole week is going to drag and be as miserable as you suspected. #GVO
6. MORNING ROUTINE. The way you start your day, as mentioned, can greatly affect your experience for the rest of the day. So do something in the morning - that isn't constantly snoozing your alarm every four minutes until you have to literally run to work in a foul mood to make it at your desk at a reasonable time - that will get you in that Monday, ass-kicking zone. Wake up an hour before you have to leave, shower with an energising scent, apply your makeup leisurely, watch a YouTube video, read an inspiring blog post. . .get your head in the game.
7. CAFFEINE FIX. Sundays are for gorging yourself on sweet treats, Saturday equals takeaway and Monday is for caffeine. We all have a slight caffeine addiction, unlike most mine is tea. Hell yes, I drink a giant cup of tea on a Monday morning with no guilt at all. Mondays make copious amounts of caffeine mandatory. It is the best excuse to go to Costa and treat yourself to extra cream and marshmallows. You need to reward yourself for getting out of bed. Duh.
8. GOSSIP. If it weren't for Monday, all the shenanigans and weekend debauchery wouldn't get dissected in the office or registration. You wouldn't get the chance to comb through all the personal details of your colleagues lives and chat about the people you love, hate and often don't even know. Gossiping is mostly harmless and good fun, and it makes that ungodly hour of 9am a little more bearable. Make sure you have all your stories perfected for Monday.
9. THE FUTURE ISN'T WRITTEN IN INK. You just don't know. This could be the best week of your life. You could win a free holiday. You could meet your husband. You could finally get that gorgeous leather jacket that you have been eyeing for weeks. You just don't know.
10. YOU'RE ALIVE. I'm not trying to guilt anyone, Mondays do often really suck, but even the worst Monday in the world has tiny little things to be thankful for. You're breathing and hopefully healthy and loved and even if this is the shittiest Monday known to mankind, you hopefully have people in your life you can talk to about it and share your burden with and if you don't. Talk to me. Don't let your Monday suck if you can help it and if it does anyway then breathe, pray, do whatever you need to make yourself feel better even if it's ordering five cocktails and talking to strangers about your very personal problems. And of course, you can always talk to me.
Thank you so much for reading, I really hope you enjoyed this post and it made you hate Mondays a little less. I decided to write this because even I feel an impending dread when Sundays are here and I don't really know why. I like my job, and I am a very lucky person all things considering. It feels like I have just been trained or conditioned to hate Mondays and well, it's time to break that conditioning and realise that every day can be brilliant if you just let it. Please comment below, if you hate Mondays tell me why, what do you do to make your Monday better. Are you a tea or a coffee drinker? Don't forget to follow my blog! Take care.
Do you hate Mondays?